Senior Estimator JD:
To successfully convert project opportunities by leading and providing accurately scoped, quantified, and priced project Tenders.
Risk and Scope:
- Adequately manage and mitigate project risk through preparation of detailed estimates and submissions
- Measure & price tenders to ensure full scope is covered and clarified and obtain market price coverage from subcontractors.
- Ensure submissions are completed and submitted in timely manner and to high quality and accuracy
- Close out tender opportunities including follow up submissions, updating CRM and providing detailed handovers to project teams
- Set up project documentation in accordance with standard department filing system.
- Ensure all documentation received is in accordance with transmittals.
- Break down project information into trade packages to be quantified and priced by subcontractors.
- Select and utilise appropriate subcontractors and suppliers to price the project.
- Collate and distribute project information to all relevant parties for pricing, with assistance from Australia based teams. Tender packages are to be sent out to subcontractors using Estimate One.
Measure and Price:
- Price all measured items using current Australian market rates.
- Apply cost codes to estimates to enable quote comparisons and project budgets.
- Ensure the larger elements of the project (price and quantity) are supported with prices from subcontractors and suppliers (generally minimum of 4-5 for large elements and 2-3 for others).
- Manage receipts and filing of quotations from sub-contractors and suppliers. Ensure quotes are thoroughly vetted and project scope is clarified with subcontractors.
- Accurately assess (exclusions & clarifications) and compare quotations received and enter into SCP.
- Utilise template to price project preliminaries (resources, tools, plant and equipment).
- Evaluate use of alternative materials, techniques and methodologies to achieve cost savings (Non-Conforming Tenders/Value Engineering).
- Prepare estimates utilising CostX.
- Utilise standard Estimating templates for Cost Plans and Tenders to achieve uniformity and Cost Modelling analysis.
- Ensure item descriptions are clear and concise.
- Complete accurate quantification of all trades (excluding services).
- Prepare logical preliminary construction program if required.
- Provide necessary information and assistance to Project Managers preparing Tender submission programme.
- Identify ambiguities in project documentation.
- Qualify assumptions which might have financial impact.
- Exclude or nominate a provisional allowance for items which cannot be accurately priced or may be subject to unquantifiable risk.
- Set up calendar meeting requests to review tender submissions with senior management.
- Make necessary changes prior to tender submission.
- Prepare draft tender/ submission letter and clarification utilising standard templates.
- Complete all necessary tender/ submission forms and schedules in accordance with the project requirements.
- Coordinate with Estimating Coordinator to ensure timely submission of final tender.
- Ensure tender/ submission is delivered on time.
- Timely follow up of tender submissions with nominated contact within 48 hours.
- Obtain feedback on price, time and quality of submission.
- Attend post submission negotiations and meetings via Teams.
- Complete all additional post tender estimating work as required.
- Prepare final budgets for construction.
- Complete handover checklist form, using Risk & Opportunity schedule.
- Attend handover meeting with the project team via Teams.
- Assist project team with estimating issues during the construction period.
- Code eligible projects using standard codes in accordance with Cost Modelling procedures.
- Provide assistance as required for entering information into our historical cost data library.
- Sign off subcontractor recommendations and record information using Draft Lettings Schedule.
- Review “End of Job” feedback report prepared by project team.
- Build relationships with QS, Clients and Subcontractors.
- Complete tender requirements forms for Estimating Coordinator.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum 10 years Estimating experience on tenders ranging between $1-$50M.
- Demonstrated ability for complete take off for fully documented and D&C tenders. Be able to show via previously submitted tenders.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) with Australian based staff, clients and subcontractors.
Skills & Knowledge
- CostX, Estimate One, Cost Modelling, Mudshark, Outlook, Microsoft Office (including Teams).
Key Behavioural Competencies
- Highly developed attention to detail, high level of accuracy
- Customer Focus – strong relationship building skills
- Efficient with time and associated productivity
- Strong communication – both written and verbal in English, familiarising self with ‘Australian slang’
- Proactive approach to work
- Solid critical thinking and problem-solving capability
- Teamwork, Integrity, Leadership, Excellence (TILE)
About Flat Planet
Established in 2010, Flat Planet® is a family-owned, Australian-operated firm run by Chris & Jenny Moriarty giving businesses safe, sustainable, and personalized way to access Southeast Asian talent and markets. We build, accommodate and manage teams of professionals on behalf of successful businesses from all over the world.
CEO Guided Tour
T: +61 2 8412 8141
E : firstname.lastname@example.org